Study in Finland (eng)


Are you unsure about your income?

From 1 August 2017 onwards, the financial aid for students consists of the study grant, the general housing allowance and the government guarantee for the student loan. The easiest way to apply for financial aid and update your details is via Kela’s eServices. On Kela’s website you can find lots of information about the financial aid for students, Kela’s online customer services, and a calculator for checking the requirements for academic progress and your income limits for both the financial aid and the general housing allowance.

Go to see a doctor if your study pace slows down because of an illness. You may need a doctor’s note later on for the monitoring of academic progress, and if you are suffering from an extended illness you can apply for the sickness allowance. You can find more information on Kela’s website.

In some situations, students may also be entitled to social assistance. You can use the social assistance calculator (in Finnish) to assess your right to receive social assistance. From 1 January 2017 applications for basic social assistance are sent to Kela. Please note that even if you have not taken out your full student loan, it will still be counted as part of your income when you apply for social assistance.

Student health and welbeing

The degree students at universities are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service. The FSHS provides general, oral and mental health services. Find out more about the student health care services in your place of study on the FSHS website.

Students with families

It is challenging to make progress in your studies while caring for your children. In collaboration with Väestöliitto (the Family Federation of Finland) and HYY, SYL has put together a Guide for Students with Families (in Finnish) where you can find help regarding your rights and responsibilities when it comes to your studies.

Organisations that support the wellbeing of students

SYL cooperates with several organisations that support the wellbeing of students and young people. You can find out more about these organisations and projects via the links below.

Nyyti ry is a national association which promotes student mental wellbeing. Nyyti aims to strengthen students’ ability to study, help them cope with everyday life, and offer peer activities. Nyyti offers students information relating to mental health and life management and organises discussion groups with peer support.

Väestöliitto, the Family Federation of Finland, is an expert organisation working in the social and health sector.  The work of Väestöliitto is focused on increasing the wellbeing of young people and families, strengthening the multiculturalism in Finnish society, and promoting sexual health. SYL is participating in Väestöliitto’s project for family-friendly practices in the workplace (Perheystävällisesti töissä) in 2014–2018.

Seta is a national human rights organisation. Seta’s aim is for everyone to able to live their lives on equal terms, no matter what their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. SYL is a supporting member of Seta.

EHYT – the Finnish Association for Substance Abuse Prevention – is a national health promoting organisation. In addition to its prevention work relating to alcohol, tobacco and drugs, EHYT also works to prevent gambling and gaming addictions. SYL is a member of EHYT.

Help from your student union!

The best way to get help with most issues students face in their everyday lives is through their own student union. Through your student union you can find information on e.g. student housing, student sports, student discounts for local public transport, and student cafeterias.

Remember that your university offers many services to support you in your studies, such as an international office and career services.